Friday, July 15, 2011

Forever Knight review by Lisa Lane is todays look at a TV Vampire series VAM04


This is Fun one and I can’t remember it, strange as I know most vampire films  ……….er…………then I looked at the date ………1992 ………..yes, well unless it was shown before 7pm I would have been in bed at that age.









Attached is my essay on Forever Knight, for Vampire Appreciation Month.  If applicable, please also include links to my website: http://www.cerebralwriter.com and links to my erotic horror vampire trilogy:


No problem Lisa all your links shown and I for one am very interested in your Erotic Horror Vampire Trilogy and if you would like to send me them as paperback and signed I will review them for you, the same goes for anyone that writes funny vampire books I would just love to read them and will do a book review blog on them when finished.



Forever a Classic: Forever Knight


As a teenager in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, I looked forward to very few television shows.    There were a handful good ones, but none as unique and entrancing as the short-lived cult hit, Forever Knight.  As a Canadian show, it came to the U.S. in second-run, during a less-than-prime day and time.  Still, those who found Forever Knight knew they had a gem, and its popularity grew despite its nonexistent PR here in the States.


Nicolas “Nick” Knight (a reference to his pre-vampiric years as a French knight) is an 800-year-old vampire now surviving in present-day Toronto.  Centuries of bloodlust have caught up with him, and now he wants nothing more than to find a way to redeem himself—save his obsession of finding some means of restoring his humanity.  Each episode follows Nick, now a homicide detective, through his endeavors to bring justice to others, while continuing to abstain from his own homicidal tendencies.  Often, his abilities (which include super speed, flight, hypnotic stare, and taking multiple bullets without going down) make the differences in his case, which he somehow manages to hide from his dense but good-natured partner, Detective Schanke.  Influences from his past, such as his companions of centuries ago, Janette (now a gothic night club owner) and Lucien LaCroix (a popular late night radio host who often talks directly, yet cryptically, to Nick in his shows), add further dynamics in the pull Nick feels between the two worlds.  The ignored sexual tension between Nick and medical examiner Natalie Lambert, the one human who knows Nick’s secret, is poignant, Nick’s realization of his lacking humanity forcing him to remain emotionally at a distance.


Nick experiences flashbacks throughout each episode, which take him back to his bloodiest days as a vampire (with Janette and La Croix), the flashbacks often showing some kind of parallel to the murder case he’s working.  The flashbacks say a lot about his character, but his reactions in present day say even more.  With each case Nick closes, he redeems another piece of his past, and yet he knows redemption alone can’t restore him his humanity.




When viewed against shows of today, Forever Knight might appear dated, the special effects a far cry from today’s CGI and editing perfection.  However, it was the show’s charm is what made it what it was.  For example, each episode typically ends with Nick drinking blood from a wine bottle in his living room, watching the sunrise on his television through cameras set up to show him the event real-time.  The characters are well developed, each affecting Nick in a different way, and his heroic efforts and strength of will are the characteristics of any good hero.



Forever Knight and the few works of vampire fiction I’ve encountered that exhibit this level of intelligence and depth are the inspiration behind most of my own vampire fiction.  After all, given all we know the vampire to represent, what good is vampire fiction if it is not written to inspire us about the human animal in all its potential beauty and ugliness?  Forever Knight captures both well.


What does your favorite vampire show say about humanity?


like to follow my blog click here

3 comments:

  1. Nice review Amy, I loved Forever Knight.
    At the time I was feeling alone and messed up inside and the show was a comfort, being something I could relate to. Although there was an infinite sadness about it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting me, Amy. FOREVER KNIGHT was definitely a show worth watching, and I'm glad to have been able to share a little about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Forever Knight as well. They definitely didn't show it at a good time for someone working the shifts I was, but I caught it when I could.

    The interplay between the characters was the best part for me. Character development was sort of a new thing where that genre on TV was concerned.

    ReplyDelete