Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Annotated Carmilla



The Annotated Carmilla
In 1872, fully twenty five years before Bram Stoker finished his Dracula, another Irish writer penned a vampire tale that created many new elements in the genre.  Before Carmilla, by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, no story had told events from the victim's point of view.  None had ever suggested to be bitten by a vampire might feel erotic. 



Just as no story before had ever contained a professional vampire hunter. 

Most agree it created the lesbian vampire genre.

But because the book was written so long ago, it references many things the modern reader might not understand.  Where is Styria, for example?  When one speaks of a horse carriage, what are the traces?  What is a myrmidon?  



The Annotated Carmilla answers those questions and more.  More than four hundred footnotes provide not only answers to obscure questions, but point out patterns and questions not immediately obvious to the first time reader--such as the pattern of when the full moon occurs in the story, which proves rather important!  At the same time it points out the many unsolved mysteries in the text, as well as some possible solutions.

Also included are long essays on the life of Le Fanu (this was his final work) and the history of Carmilla amidst the vampire in film, television and fiction.

Available at Amazon in kind format here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Annotated-Carmilla-ebook/dp/B0058V6MG2

Or you can get the softcover book right here:  https://www.createspace.com/3507727
Trailer:  http://youtu.be/50Vb764LJa4

"O let my name be in the Book of Love, if it be there, I care not of that other book above.
Strike it out!  Or write it in anew... But let my name be in the Book of Love!"
--Omar Kayam

==============================================

hi just to remind my readers that I do book features on my blog, book advertising is always so expensive so I offer a free service

My blog has over 38,000 hits and a large following, am what I do is lots of book features as well as life as a teenage vampire.

Send me a book cover pic, book blub and details on where it can be purchased along with author details and photo etc........ any thing that will make it good reading and i will do a book feature on it.

my email is: amymahvampire@aol.com

In return all I ask is that you help publicise my books in anyway you can such as also doing a feature on your blog on my books. 


And now for my book plug:

That is the NightLife series of vampire books 
by Amy Mah






No comments:

Post a Comment